In 1899, the Woman’s Club began a drive to establish Carnegie Library in the city of Sullivan, Indiana. In Jan. 1905, the $10,000, two-story, Bedford limestone structure, complete with a dome, was opened to the public. Changes throughout the years included a new addition in 1994 which included an elevator. In the late 1960s and the early 1970s, the Merom, Shelburn, Farmersburg, Dugger, and Carlisle libraries merged with the Sullivan Library, and they all became the Sullivan County Public Library system. Outreach areas include the Hymera Community Library, Sullivan Housing Authority, and the Sullivan County Community Hospital.