Merom Library History

Merom Library

8554 W. Market St. Box 146 Merom, IN 47861
(812) 356-4612

A ground-breaking ceremony took place on May 5, 1917, on the corner of Market and 5 th streets. The grand opening of the Merom – Gill Township Carnegie Library was on Sep. 1, 1918. The two-story structure has beautiful oak woodwork and paintings by local artist Will Turman. The Merom Library became a part of the Sullivan County Public Library system on Dec. 28, 1967. Locals believe that Merom is the smallest town in the U.S. with a Carnegie-built library.