Carlisle Library History


In 1916, the Carlisle Carnegie Library was opened for Carlisle-Haddon township residents. This two-story structure was destroyed by fire on March 19, 1965. Insurance and donations from the residents of the town allowed another library to be built and opened in Dec. 1965. For the betterment of the community, the Carlisle Library board decided to become a part of the Sullivan County Public Library system on May 1, 1968.  For several years the 1965 library building served its purpose and due to structure issues was torn down in 2014 to make way for  this beautiful new library.  Newly opened in June 2015 with ribbon cutting ceremonies during the 2015 Carlisle Bicentennial Celebration this library will serve the community for many years to come.